On stability of the evolution Galerkin schemes applied to a two-dimensional wave equation system
Preprint series: 04-03, Preprints
- 35L05 Wave equation
- 65M06 Finite difference methods
- 35L45 Initial value problems for hyperbolic systems of first-order PDE
- 35L65 Conservation laws
- 65M25 Method of characteristics
- 42B10 Fourier and Fourier-Stieltjes transforms and other transforms of Fourier type
- 65M12 Stability and convergence of numerical methods
Abstract: The subject of the paper is the analysis of stability of the evolution Galerkin (EG) methods for the two-dimensional wave equation system. We apply von Neumann analysis and use the Fourier transformation to estimate the stability limits of both the first and the second order EG methods.
Keywords: hyberbolic systems, wave equation, evolution Galerkin schemes, discrete Fourier transformation, amplification matrix, CFL condition.
The author(s) agree, that this abstract may be stored asfull text and distributed as such by abstracting services.